The Su Casa Story
Read More of our story below . . .
Su Casa History
In 1957, Bill Wombacher laid the block for the original restaurant building in ONE DAY! It was the beginning of many businesses which would be located at 1000 Main Street in Historic Clarkdale Arizona. Norma and Eva’s Big Ben Snow Cap, a franchise, owned by Norma Wombacher and Eva Pecharich, opened in the fall of 1958. Hambers, hotdogs and ice cream were plentiful in this small restaurant which provided no seating, only a counter. Eva sold her half to Norma in 1959, to begin a new business in Clarkdale; Matt and Eva’s 10-12, which became a very popular bar located one block east on main Street, owned and operated by Matt & Eva until 1990. Norma’s Big Ben continued until 1973 when Henry Goy purchased it and began serving Mexican food at Big Ben’s. Then Frank Contreras bought and rant it until 1976. Ramona Garcia changed the name to Mrs. G’s in 1976, and also served Mexican food until 1977. Mary’s Corner, owned and operated by March Chavez, opened in 1977, and changed hands again in 1979. A new owner, Mary Gonzalez, continued the restaurant with the convenient same name, until 1981. Gloria Herrera operated the business as Gloria’s Cocina from 1981 to 1983. The building sat vacant for a short time, but in 1984, the empty restaurant became a mini mart which supplied baskc household items to the residents of Clarkdale. Mike and Alva Brambilla re-opened as Tacos & Mas later in 1984. They made the first major structural changes in the tiny building, enlarging the kitchen, and expanding the seating area.
The present restaurant, Su Casa, was purchased from the Brambillas in 1992 by the Conlin Family. They continue to serve delicious Mexican food maining this wonderful Historic Clarkdale Tradition. The Conlins have made many changes incling an outside patio area for dining in 2013 and more remodeling of the interior that happened in the fall of 2019.